Victoria's fifth lockdown will be extended for another week, Premier Daniel Andrews announced this morning.
The fifth lockdown is now scheduled to end at midnight on Tuesday, July 27.
"We need to avoid what's going on in Sydney at the moment and we are determined to do that," Mr Andrews said on Tuesday morning.
"We wish we could bring this in earlier but we can't run the risk that there are cases our there we don't know about, there are chains of trans not yet contained that we don't know about.
"We have had a couple of transmission events where large numbers of people have finished up positive as a result of being in proximity, being close to others for a very short period of time."
Red zone permits from New South Wales will also change.
Residents will require an exemption to return to Victoria, which will only be granted in exceptional circumstances, including compassionate grounds. This applies from 11.59pm on Tuesday, July 20.
"I know that's challenging, but so too is an outbreak," Mr Andrews said of the border tightening.
"We need to protect Victoria and Victorians and indeed beyond that, the rest of the nation are all doing this to protect what we've built."
See the full exposure site map here.
The extension comes after the state recorded 13 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 yesterday, bringing the total number of active cases in Victoria to 85.
Of those 13 new cases, 12 are connected to current outbreaks, with one under investigation.
Nine of the 13 were in isolation throughout their infectious period.
The lockdown was due to end at midnight on Tuesday, but Premier Daniel Andrews revealed yesterday that it would be extended, leaving Victorians in a state of uncertainty about when restrictions would be lifted.
Testing numbers remained strong, with just under 50,000 people getting tested yesterday.
Meanwhile, 17,000 people also received a dose of a vaccine.
Chains of transmission have been located across the state with 320 total exposure sites, including at the MCG and AAMI Park, and positive cases found at schools in Melbourne and Bacchus Marsh.
One infectious person contracted the virus at an AFL game at the MCG from a resident of the Ariele Apartments in Maribyrnong which had been visited by the NSW removalists.
That person then attended a Euro 2020 final viewing party at The Crafty Squire in the city before heading to work to teach at Trinity Grammar in Kew.
The following day, he had dinner at Ms Frankie in Cremorne before attending to the Wallabies test match against France at AAMI Park.
The man was not aware he was infectious at the time and showed no symptoms, but his eventful week led to 22 positive tests across those exposure sites.
The outbreak has spread to regional Victoria, with positive cases found in Mildura and exposure sites in Ballan, Bacchus Marsh, Geelong, Barwon Heads, Bendigo, Wycheproof, Phillip Island and the Mornington Peninsula.
Currently, Ballarat remains virus-free with no positive cases and no exposure sites in the city.
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we aim to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.