A RUTHLESS Redan outfit has smashed Sunbury by 51 points in a one-sided contest at Clarke Oval.

In a slippery start where clean possession was a rare commodity, it was Redan that jumped out of the blocks.

A classy running goal from North Ballarat Roosters gun Nathan Horbury got the maroon and gold off to the best possible start as the visitors kicked the opening four goals within the opening 10 minutes.

Sunbury was not out of the contest however, but struggled to convert and surges forward into scoreboard pressure, as the Redan defence held strong.

A much-needed captain's goal from Andrew Duhau in time on finally saw the Eastern Lions get a major on the scoreboard in time on of the first quarter.

The play became more open in the second quarter as the weather dried up and again it was Redan that seemed to adjust better, booting five goals to three for the term.

Daniel Colbert kicked two for the Western Lions, including an off-the-ball free kick, to take his tally to three to half time and continue his stellar start to the year.

As was the trend for the day, Redan was on the board within the opening two minutes of the third quarter when Mitch Phelps kicked a quick goal straight out of the crumbing textbook.

The goal seemed to suck the life out of Sunbury which continued to battle but realistically never posed any threat of a comeback.

In fact, it was not until the 10-minute mark of the last quarter that Sunbury kicked its first goal for the half, off the boot of Jesse Flannery.

Redan's brilliant ball movement and swift passages of play, combined with its stoic defence and ability to bottle up the play when not in possession, was simply too much for the young Sunbury side.

Mitch Phelps finished with five goals in his first game for the year, while Dan Colbert collected three from full forward for Redan.

Nathan Horbury was absolutely dominant for Redan, as was his VFL counterpart in Daniel Toman for Sunbury

ELSWHERE, Ballarat held off a fast finishing Darley side to sneak home 11.14 (80) to 9.13 (67), leaving the Devils 1-3 in a shaky start to the season.

Having led by 39 points at three-quarter time, Ballarat conceded five out of the last six goals of the game, in what is somewhat of a worrying sign for the Swans, having been outplayed in almost every last quarter this season.

Melton Recreation Reserve played host to the match of the season, with Melton sneaking home by five points in the battle of the rivals.

Panthers coach Mathew Sutton clawed his side back into the match with four last quarter goals to put his side in front in the dying minutes, before Brody Richie stole it for Melton in the last minute.

The final scoreboard read Melton 14.13 (97) to Melton South 13.14 (92).

At Eastern Oval, North Ballarat City triumphed by six goals over East Point, winning 19.14 (128) to 13.14 (92).

The Roos reduced the margin to 14 points in the third quarter, having trailed by 45 points at the main break, before North City pulled away again.

And in the last game for the round, Bacchus Marsh smashed Sebastopol to the tune of 130 points.