Two trees involved in separate serious crashes in Sebastopol during the past year are planned to be removed.
Emergency services were called to Hertford Street in Sebastopol just before 4.30am Wednesday, where a 22-year-old Ballarat man had crashed into a tree near the McDonalds drive thru entrance.
The Ford Falcon sedan he had been driving was extensively damaged, and emergency services worked to free him from the wreckage for some time.
With lower body injuries, he was airlifted to the Royal Melbourne Hospital where he remained in a serious condition on Wednesday afternoon.
The tree the man crashed into was located right next to another tree, which a man died after smashing into in November last year.
Related coverage: Man airlifted to Melbourne following serious crash
Related coverage: Man dies after crashing into tree at Sebastopol
But now, there are plans to remove the trees as part of an intersection upgrade at Albert and Hertford streets.
Noting her thoughts were with those affected, Regional Roads Victoria's Acting Regional Director (Western), Angela Daraxoglou, said the designs for the intersection upgrade were in the process of being finalised, in consultation with local residents and businesses.
Being upgraded as part of the $60.8 million Keeping Ballarat Moving program, the existing roundabout will be converted to signals.
Multiple trees are also planned to be removed as part of the project - including the two trees on the north side of Hertford Street (next to the McDonalds), four trees on the south side of Hertford Street and two trees on the Albert Street median.
"Major works for this project are due to commence in May 2021 and we will be in touch with the community at a later date to confirm a construction schedule," Ms Daraxoglou said.
Anyone who witnessed the incident or with dash cam footage is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report online at www.crimestoppervic.com.au
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.