The Ballarat International Foto Biennale will open to regional audiences from Wednesday after it was put on hold due to the latest COVID-19 lockdown.
And the festival's Linda McCartney: Retrospective and several core program exhibitions will be extended to January 9, which is beyond the October 24 end date.
The extension will allow metropolitan Melbourne visitors to enjoy the most prestigious photographic arts festival in Australia, when restrictions permit.
BIFB creative director and chief executive officer Fiona Sweet said was very exciting to open the festival to regional residents because the event could not open on its original August 28 date.
"We are thrilled to be able to share this extraordinary biennale with regional Victoria first," Sweet said.
"We would love our Melbourne audiences to come to Ballarat when they are out of lockdown. We know from all of the messages we have received from our Melbourne fans that they're really disappointed they can't come come, so we have extended the festival which is great."
IN THE NEWS:
Sweet said Ballarat venue owners hosting the exhibitions had been supportive in making sure the festival could be extended.
She said the McCartney family, including Paul, Mary and Stella - who curated Linda McCartney: Retrospective at the Art Gallery of Ballarat - had been incredibly supportive of the exhibition because it was the first time it had been held outside Europe.
"All the venues that can extend have extended. There's very, very few that can't so that's good. The experience of the biennale will really shine," Sweet said.
The BIFB program includes more than 260 artists across 100 venues, including 25 Australian premieres.
For more information and to book tickets, visit ballaratfoto.org. Due to current capacity restrictions, tickets are limited and it is recommended to book in advance.
Meanwhile, the NBL 3x3 Big Hustle National Championships scheduled to be held in Ballarat in October has been postponed until January.
The decision will allow the more than 700 participants the best chance of playing in one of the most exciting basketball competitions in the country.
The event will now be held on January 22 and 23.
The Ballarat Sports Events Centre will remain host of the tournament that will feature three new, state-of-the-art outdoor 3x3 basketball courts.
"Based on the current COVID situation around the country and expert advice, we've elected to move the event to ensure we can get the best outcomes for everyone involved," 3x3Hustle manager Jaele Patrick said.
"The community's health and safety is paramount and at the forefront of all ourdecision-making. The event will now take place during the summer school holidays and on dedicated 3x3 courts at the Ballarat venue, so it sets up an exciting opportunity for our 170-plus teams.
"We thank the City of Ballarat for its continued commitment to the NBL 3x3 Big Hustle National Championships and can't wait to see the city come to life with thousands of people including the players, support teams and spectators."
City of Ballarat mayor Daniel Moloney said the City of Ballarat was fully committed to hosting tournament.
"We are excited to welcome the teams and basketball fans to Ballarat in January for what is set to be an entertaining weekend on the Ballarat Sports Events Centre's new outdoor 3x3 courts," Cr Moloney said.
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.